Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Track 09 "And The Trumpets Sing" - 'One Way' Album Preview



One Way will be available October 6, 2009.
Play "And The Trumpets Sing” and the whole album now at http://www.dannyrossmusic.com

NOTES
To me, the perfect pop song is "You Won't See Me" from The Beatles "Rubber Soul." So I came up with this poppy piano part with a moving bass line, though the vocal sounded closer to The Beach Boys "Be True To Your School." I definitely took the ideas of starting and ending with a string theme from Pet Sounds. And in fact, most of the production ideas stem from there too. But it took me forever to come up with the line "And The Trumpets Sing." I didn't love it and I'm still slightly unsure about it. The song builds and builds and... Bam! The big moment where all the instruments stop and the homerun line is sung..."Blahh" But after trying and trying, I kept coming back to "And The Trumpets Sing" so there must be something to it. Anyway, my favorite part about the song is the handclaps and the way the song stops dead in the middle and the strings play completely out of time. Hope you dig!


FACTS
Music and Lyrics, Horn and String Arrangements by Danny Ross
Written in New York 2004 (Age 19)
Inspired by: Beach Boys (Pet Sounds), Beatles (Rubber Soul)
Produced by Rob Guariglia and Danny Ross
Recorded Spring 2008 at Galuminum Foil Productions;
Engineered by Jeff Berner

Instrumentation:
Danny Ross – Vocal, Piano
Carl Basler – Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitars
Fred Kennedy - Drums
Matt Wigton - Bass
Mike Maher - Trumpet
Evan Smith- Tenor Sax
Paul Nedzela - Bari Sax
Leo Adamov - Violin
Rachel Golub - Violin
Corrina Albright -Viola
Jody Redhage - Cello



LYRICS


Well I was walking around

With my head to the ground like I could never win


But all the winds have been changing

And shifting the pages of the narrative

Something’s happening


There’s bells a-ringing

And newspapers printing

Sunlight into spring

And the trumpets sing…


Well I burst into town

Like the first in a crowd

And I raised my chin


And taking one look around

Through the sights and the sounds

Somebody touched my skin and said

‘Something’s happening’


There’s people breathing

And I still believe in love through everything

And the trumpets sing…


All I know is that you got to begin

But there’s no telling how or when

And though you’re looking out the door again

You can only survive in your skin

You can win




No comments: