Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Track 08 "Always On My Way" - 'One Way' Album Preview



One Way will be available October 6, 2009.
Play "Always On My Way” and the whole album now at the new http://www.dannyrossmusic.com

NOTES
Around this time I started to really pay attention to lyrics. I was obviously listening to a lot of Dylan, in particular the early acoustic albums The Times They Are A-Changin' and The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan. I was beginning to understand that the lyric and the singer are by far the most important elements in pop music. A lyric shouldn't only fit the sound of the melody, but they should be able to stand away from the song on their own, both telling a story and invoking all 5 senses. After a few good lines were written sometime in London, I ended up finishing this song in one night at a cafe on 23rd St and 3rd Ave - all before I sat down with a guitar or piano to write the music. I also took to heart something Dylan said: it's always good to have a song set in a train. Amen.


FACTS
Music and Lyrics by Danny Ross
Written in New York 2005 (Age 21)
Inspired by: Bob Dylan, Ryan Adams
Produced by Rob Guariglia and Danny Ross
Recorded Spring 2008 at Galuminum Foil Productions;
Engineered by Jeff Berner

Instrumentation:
Danny Ross – Vocal, Acoustic Guitar, Harmonica
Gordon Hartin - Pedal Steel
Dan Conklin – Backup Vocal


LYRICS

On a train, through a window

Some trees are moving backwards in the rain

In a car full of strangers, reading papers

On their way to any place


And I packed up my suitcase

Just to leave it far behind me with the shame

Now I am on my way


Vibrations of the stones of the bridge

That connect her with me

Packed into a deck of cards

I can’t recall a single memory


I can’t explain how loving you

Became a game I didn’t care how to play

But I am on my way

Again I’m on my way


See I’m a river at a bend

Moving forward to the end of a new morning

And though I look behind

I’m destined to arrive into the dawning


The silence shakes the lights and the windows

Wishing I could do the same

But writing out this letter

Must be better than moving forward through the pain


Well I can’t predict the future

But tomorrow seems to right what’s wrong today

And so I am on my way

Once again I’m on my way


See I’m a river at a bend

Moving forward from the end of an old evening

And I swear I’m right

But won’t I ever find what I’m believing?


On a train through a window

A muddy path is leading to the shore

My head is pressed against the glass

Though time I swear is pressing even more


I guess it’s easier for a man

To always have one foot out the door

Will it always be this way?

Am I always on my way?





No comments: