Monday, June 7, 2010

6/7 Weekend Roundup


Here are a few thoughts from the weekend:

- Watched "West Side Story" for the first time. Thought everything about it was amazing - I expected the music and dancing to be great but was surprised how killing the directing and cinematography was. However I don't buy how quickly Maria forgives Tony for killing her brother - I mean what the hell? She didn't care at all. She's a terrible sister.

- Thanks to everyone for selling out our first show at Mercury Lounge! There were 100 people there. Hopefully this leads to bigger and better shows. Playing Rockwood next Friday 6/18 11pm.

- Caught friends Dan Hodapp and Ben Mauk as part of the group Reverse 5 give a hilarious improv show Saturday night. Then ran to see "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson" at the Public Theatre. It was a retelling of Andrew Jackson's life through shitty emo music. Hilarious, go see it before it closes.

- Mexican brunch, how do you do it?

- Caught a performance of Twelfth Night and forced myself to pay close attention through the 2 hours. It made me realize how hard it is for me normally to sit still. Can I blame the digital age? http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brain.html?th&emc=th


- Got heavy into Paul Simon this week - "Ryhthm of the Saints" and "Paul Simon." That guy manages to be poetic, earnest, musical and unique in everything he does. I'm jealous. Really enjoyed the first Antony and the Johnsons album. His vibrato voice stands out so much, but I was finally able to appreciate the songwriting and production. Also listened to more live Bruce albums, trying to study his stage techniques. The guy's rediculous.

- Music nerds: Having trouble understanding the need for species counterpoint exercises. So many rules, can't I just write harmonies by ear?

- We saw a lifesize Winnie the Pooh costume at a yardsale. I truly regret not getting it.

- Aziz Ansari is the man. Matt Damon is cooler than he's given credit for.

- My friend John took me to a Catholic Mass at St. Paul's Cathedral on the Upper West Side. Beautiful place and beautiful service.

- I'm heading to Israel for Birthright in 2 weeks. In case you were wondering, I am indeed a member of the ancient Cohenim tribe, aka direct decsendent of Moses brother, Aaron and perhaps... Jesus? Booya. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/israel/familycohanim.html

No comments: