Wednesday, May 19, 2010

5/19 Wednesday Whispers

Here are a few thoughts this week...

- Was reading Beck's lyrics for Modern Guilt from the album insert, and they're beautifully dark and poetic. But played up against the electronic feel of the music, I feel some of that abstract darkness is lost to his musical eccentricities. Funny thing putting words and music together...

- Also spent time listening to Dylan's "Bringing It All Back Home" and Radiohead's "In Rainbows" and random find, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's "Howl' And in my quest to listen to all my music alphabetical by album, I listened to U2's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" which I found surprisingly musically engaging but often lyrically hackneyed.

- If anyone caught Andy Samberg's musical-number video on last week's SNL, it was priceless. Otherwise I thought Tom Petty was disappointing and the episode was generally lousy. I also (apparently alone on this) thought that Bowersox' version of "Maybe I'm Amazed" last night was crappy. Am I a curmudgeon?

- I don't watch Lost, heard it was great but that it all leads to nothing. Is it true??

- Arlen Spector is 80. Was it really worth all the trouble of switching parties to run again and then lose anyway? Move to Florida.

- My thoughts on today's political climate: "Ain't no party like my nanna's tea party." - Flight of the Conchords

- This is really interesting.

- Is BP purposefully trying to look terrible?

- Thanks to those who came out to Bar4 last week, fun show. After 9 months of trying, hello Mercury Lounge!! - June 1st ....And fun hanging for Arthur's birthday at Mission Delores, heading back Saturday to say goodbye to Kailin. By the way, Minneapolis is really cold.

- Gig Report: Thursday night checking Casey Shea @ Rockwood at 8, Shwa @ Mecury at 9, Wakey Wakey @ Bowery Ballroom at 10. Friday night Quintus @ Rockwood at midnight.

- Note to self: Keep better track of where I am in Prospect Park so I don't get lost all the time.

No comments: