Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Track 06 "Stay Here With Me" - 'One Way' Album Preview



NOTES:
This is my favorite song on the record. My original intention was to write something in the vein of Beck's "Sea Change." That is, simultaneously dark and heart-achingly beautiful. This is also a good example of the muse working, because lines like "How can we beckon the past/ And savor things we know that won't last" - words I could never come up with on my own (I had to look up beckon in the dictionary) - found their way through my lips.

We really wanted to capture the fragility and dynamics of the song on the recording, we even thought of not recording to a click track, but the strings really did a great job of that. In fact, toward the end we have two sets of quartets playing to build the tension. I was also afraid that putting pedal steel and strings together would conflict (they both have that weeping sound) but they sound great! Lastly, hope you enjoy the outro - that's my ode to Brian Wilson's "Smile."

FACTS:
Music, String Arrangements and Lyrics by Danny Ross
Written in 2004 (Age 20)
Produced by Rob Guariglia and Danny Ross
Recorded Spring 2008 at Galuminum Foil Productions;
Engineered by Jeff Berner

Instrumentation:
Danny Ross – Vocal, Piano
Carl Basler – Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Slide Guitar
Matt Wigton - Bass
Fred Kennedy – Drums
Bob Hoffnar - Pedal Steel
Leo Adamov - Violin
Rachel Golub - Violin
Corrina Albright -Viola
Jody Redhage - Cello

LYRICS :
If you could wait for me
Until after the winter
These night skies will fade into day

But our smiles wait
Away in a picture
It leaves me with nothing to say
But stay

Stay here with me, no

If you could wait for me
We’ll share an apartment
And sleep through the afternoon

Revisiting laughs
In these phone conversations
So the light by the window can loom
In this empty room

How can we beckon the past?
And savor things we know that won’t last
The moment’s too fast

Stay here with me
Please don’t go
Stay here with me, no


"One Way" will be available October 6, 2009. Play "Stay Here With Me” now at http://www.myspace.com/dannyrossmusic or you can hear all "One Way" songs at the new http://www.dannyrossmusic.com

And buy tickets now to the ‘Danny Ross Presents One Way’ Record Release Show Saturday September 12, 2009 with a 15-Piece Band and Orchestra at The St. Mark’s Church: https://dannyrossmusic.ticketleap.com/oneway

No comments: